20 Dec 2013

How to choose the right Christmas present

Christmas morning, you are about to open Santa's presents. Full of energy, anxious and happy... but five seconds later you feel disappointed. Why did Santa pick up the wrong present? Well, Santa didn't follow these easy steps when buying Xmas presents.

Some of Santa's presents. By Mike Fleming
The present is not for you!
Tired of getting shocks or scarves every year? When you are buying for someone else, you just need to think about other's needings and likes before buying something you like. Your Grandpa doen't want a Premium Spotify subscription, although I would love Santa would buy me one.

Be creative!
Little budgets require an extra creativity, which can be developed in two aspects: the packaging and the present itself. Every year my friends and I hold a Secret Santa. Presents should be under 5€, so creativity is a must. I bought my friend a Cadbury caramel bar and this original IKEA lamp. My friend loved them.

Be social!
Use peer to peer opinions to find the right present. Ask the "experts". In my case, having a camera makes me the person everyone ask when they want a new camera. Between you and me: I have no idea about cameras. I am only an expert in Google and Social Media research.

Use Internet and Social Media to compare!
Comparing features and prices is easier with Internet and Social Media networks. So, when people ask me for advice, I look up and compare on Internet some cameras, I select some ones between the budget and I pick the right one. I also have a few photographers friends, whom I ask, too.

Follow the trends!
Be viral! If a product is very trendy, if it has been sold in mass... your teenager daughter/son would love it. Pay attention not to spend loads on it, as viral products are usually quite expensive, too. When not sure, just review the 5 tips list I have given you.

Good luck finding the right present and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment